Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Toto! We're not in Kansas Any More!

I know....I know...I saved that title for 3 days.....but we finally left Kansas and drove into Colorado - a small town called Wray. We are staying at "Doc's Bed and Breakfast Inn"... 
Dodge City, Kansas to Wray, Colorado - about 285 miles
For those keeping score, we have now gone a little under 1600 miles.....we have 3 more days of 250+ miles before we take a break. Now in case you weren't sure, 300 miles on a bike (when you are an old man like me) - is tiring. You have to take a break every 50 miles or so - or things you didn't know were there start turning numb. 
Today was one of those days where we really wanted to make miles - we only made a few stops - and those were quick ones. So we had our "continental breakfast" (meaning two cups of coffee and some eggs for me....Jeanette ate a banana and some other "healthy" stuff) at the hotel and we packed up and hit the road.
We started out on Hwy 400 - from our hotel in Dodge City - and headed towards Garden City, Kansas. Again, there are not a lot of curvy roads in this part of Kansas. The weather was "iffy" in the morning - we didn't gear up (rain suits) - but there were a lot of clouds. The other thing we noticed - is that Kansas is a VERY aromatic state. More than once, we just about gagged from the smell. Now, Jeanette and I have seen our fair share of country living - and neither of us are real squeamish - but this was NA- HAH - STEE! And it wasn't just one or two farms - it was like for MILES - the stinking smell of cow urine and poop was with us..... and unfortunately, we couldn't "roll up the windows and turn the AC on high"...
Other than that, we did see a very cool mural just outside of Garden City, Kansas - so we made a "butt stop" to take a few quick photos...






We then turned north on Hwy 83 and took that into Oakley, Kansas. In Oakley, we made a quick side trip to a local pharmacy because Jeanette was feeling a little stomach pain (see!  I told her not to eat that healthy stuff....). So after Oakley, Kansas, we got onto Hwy 70. The speed limit was 75 - and the bike could handle that very nicely - but the "bumps" in the road started making Jeanette really sick - and causing her to lose her breath (pacemaker-type issues) .....so I slowed down to 65 and then she felt much better. It was something about that particular road - as we drove 70 (the speed limit) on a few other roads with no problems.
We crossed the border into Colorado and gained another hour. Okay.....here is the problem. I hate changing times. I know....it's silly - but I am always messed up when we go from regular time to Daylight Savings Time (and back again) and it usually takes me about a week to "recover" - so....I have been "fighting" the hour we gained when we went from Eastern Time Zone to Central Time....
So today when I gained this "other hour" - I had to go along with it...mainly because it was lunch time...I was starving - and it was only 1030 by "local" time. 
Chicken Noodle Soup and changing the time - at Denny's
So I reset my watch, the clock on the bike - and the phone automatically resets....we still had lunch at 1030 - but it means I had to wait a long time for dinner....and also my "posts" will be completed later than I was doing them.


So anyway, we turned north onto Hwy 385 - which is the "High Plains Scenic Highway" into Wray, Colorado - Altitude about 3,900 ft.  We rolled into town - population is less than 4,000 - and we checked into our Bed and Breakfast

The sign out front that greeted us....
Of course, no one was there - as it was barely 12:30 local time....but we called the manager - and then we proceeded to make ourselves comfortable on the porch...
look close and you can see Jeanette waving...
The manager came by and we signed in. We were actually booked at a cottage a few streets over. It is a nice little house - right by the local swimming pool. (I am not going to go take pictures of the kids swimming - as with my luck, some local bubba would get the wrong idea and the next thing I know, I would be in cuffs doing the frog march in front of the local media....) - but when we go outside we can hear the kids yelling and having fun. It is a nice little town. I did go take a photo of the outside of the house - and you can see the slide for the pool in one of the shots.
The little cottage we are staying in....
In this photo - you can see the yellow and blue slide from the local pool....it is fun listening to all the kids laughing and playing.
Also, I noticed that there wasn't a coffee maker in our room - and I asked the manager (as I would not want to drive tomorrow morning without at least one cup of coffee in me)....so she actually brought me a coffee pot (her own) to use for tonight.  That probably would not have happened in a large city....(ya think??)
Finally, we went and had dinner (I was starving - since the place didn't open up until 5:00 which would be 7:00 our time) and I had eaten lunch at 10:30.... but they have this very nice place called 4th and Grill - and it is on (surprise!) 4th St and has a wonderful reputation for providing very "edgey" specials - (according to the manager - last night was salmon and some type of pasta) but they also specialize in steak....so Jeanette had the chili (some yadda-yadda stuff about healthy....) and I had the filet and a baked potato.....and asked Jeanette to take the photo as soon as it came.
Too late....she had to turn the camera on - and by that time (say it with me if you want.....) it was not a pretty sight, but it was part of the food chain......
So tomorrow we are off for Wyoming....we hope you are enjoying sharing in our adventure.
Wade and Jeanette
GNTNYCGTB <3

No comments:

Post a Comment