Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Final Journey......

Well, we did it.....
Hopefully, you can read that - 31 days - 5,626 miles....WHAT A GREAT ADVENTURE!!
Not a lot to share today - we knew the weather was going to be hot here in Springfield -so we got an early start - left at 7 am right after a quick breakfast at the hotel - and shot all the way home.
We started off on Hwy 75, continued down on Hwy 23 thru Ann Arbor and eventually into Toledo. Hwy 23 hooks up with 75 for about 35 miles - until we hit Findlay, Ohio. From there is was all Hwy 68 down into Springfield. We did take a couple of breaks - one on a rest stop off of Hwy 23. We also found a Wendy's in Kenton, Ohio - where we had a nice "tea and diet coke" break.
We arrived home at around noon.....exhausted. Even though there is a smile on our face - we were tired and ready to come home.
Of course, we had to go out shopping as we had no food in the house and the air conditioner has broken down (we already have two window units going - and the service guy will come out tomorrow....so we are okay.)
It was great to see all of our friends and relatives that we visited....that is always the best part. We are lucky that we have such a big, wonderful, loving family - on both sides of the aisle....(as a matter of fact, I have always had a sneaking suspicion that most of my family likes Jeanette better than they like me....as they knew her before we got married.) But that was our favorite highlight of the trip. 
The weather was fantastic for most of the trip - we only saw over 90 degrees two days....yep, the first day of the trip and the last day.....the rest of the time the highs were in the 70s or 80s....we only saw hard rain for about 20 miles - when we were just about to arrive at my brother's house in Oklahoma - other than that, we saw a lot of clouds - and a few sprinkles - but no rain storms.
While we were in Wyoming, there was a tornado about 100 miles to the southwest of us.....never saw a drop or felt any wind from that. There were reports that the week before we arrived, the weather in Kansas was 100 degrees with high winds.....it was beautiful for us. It poured and rained and flooded in Minnesota but it was the week before we arrived. The winds did get bad in South Dakota and Iowa - and we really needed a break- so it was nice to get to visit relatives and have a few days away from the bike.
So....for my final thoughts....this trip was over a year in the making - and there were some times when I was in Iraq that it gave me a "mental break" - to think about spending a long period of time with my girl, riding across this country that I love, visiting the places I have heard about and read about....and visiting relatives that we love.....it seemed so far away at the time - and then - it started and now it is over.....what a great way to finish up the deployment.
To our friends who followed us on this journey (and who may have followed the deployment to Iraq) - I hope you had an interesting read and we could bring some of these places a bit more to life for you. We have a great country - with lots of lovely people and interesting places. 


So for Jeanette and I.....thank you and...
We hope you enjoyed sharing our adventure!!!
Love - Wade and Jeanette
GNTNYCGTB AWSYIACOD!!!! <3

7 comments:

  1. Loved reading and following your adventure! I'm happy you're home too...been thinking about you all day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy you're back home now! And I totally understand all your acronyms. WSTLTFNO. Do you know what that says??? LY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dad and I are totally clueless about this>>>>>>>> ???????????????? LY

      Delete
    2. We Should Talk Like This From Now On. :) :) :) LY

      Delete
    3. Ohhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! ha-ha, maybe not if I couldn't figure THAT out! :o)

      Delete
    4. I read "we should talk like this from now on" and thought.....okay, fine...but what were the acronyms spelling? After about a minute, it hit me.....
      SYS LYD

      Delete
  3. Here's hoping you don't stop blogging - I love reading about your adventures and how you saw God in your journey.

    I have chosen your blog as one of my top 15 "One Lovely Blog" awards. If I am the first to present you with this award, please check out my post on how to claim it - http://cominguproses.webs.com/apps/blog/show/16814413-one-lovely-blog-award

    ReplyDelete