Wednesday, June 13, 2012

From the back seat......

15 When the servant of the man of God got up and went out early the next morning, an army with horses and chariots had surrounded the city. “Oh no, my lord! What shall we do?” the servant asked.
16 “Don’t be afraid,” the prophet answered. “Those who are with us are more than those who are with them.”
17 And Elisha prayed, “Open his eyes, Lord, so that he may see.” Then the Lord opened the servant’s eyes, and he looked and saw the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha.   2 Kings 6:15-17

We've been traveling so long now that I'm almost starting to forget my regular routines. Now it's: get up, shower, hop on the bike, find a place for meals, and hop on the bike again until it's time to stop for the night. I'm trying to get a routine with my settling in the motel rooms each night (we call it 'nesting'). 
I've seen some beautiful, beautiful sights and God's handiwork and majesty everywhere. Even though we're on a pretty big bike, most afternoons we encounter winds that are pretty strong. And crosswinds are the worst. We'll be leaning in the direction of the wind and all of a sudden a cross-wind pops up and jiggles us up a bit. 
As we started climbing in Wyoming towards the Continental Divide, those winds got worse and worse and stronger and stronger. When we would meet a truck coming our way I would grip on tight because I knew we are going to be buffeted in his wake. 
So I sit and ride on the back, looking across the hills, valleys, meadows for wild life (which is amazing - btw)  and then for trucks coming our way.
The day we drove into Montpelier, Idaho was especially strong with winds. I told Wade I hadn't done it in a while, but my toes were curling in my boots - I guess trying to hold on somehow~!!!
But through all of this, and all of the cold, and all of the bumps where I catch air (feet and bottom) I am thinking on this story - "those that are with us are more than those that are with them......" and as I'm am going down the roads - I look to both sides and just imagine all those invisible chariots of fire and horses surrounding us - guiding us - watching out for us. They are plentiful and if only my eyes could open and see them!!! Just maybe some of those chariots of fire are two-wheeled with seats???

No comments:

Post a Comment