Saturday, March 3, 2012

Okay I guess I can't complain... the last week in February - and I actually got to put on about 50 miles or so on the new bike. Mostly, we have been working on planning the logistics for the trip. The first thing were reservations at all of the hotels where we would like to stay..... figuring out the dates we will be there - making the reservations, tracking confirmation numbers, etc. I have a spreadsheet where I keep all of this data - so every time I make a confirmation, I enter the confirmation number, address, phone number, costs (including taxes) so I have an idea of what to budget for the trip.....
So I have finished getting ALL of the hotels (about 20 nights in 19 different hotels - the rest of the time, we will be staying with relatives).


As for the bike - when I was in Iraq, someone sent us these "I served" stickers - one for Afghanistan and one for Iraq. So I proudly put them on the bike so most people could see....
Additionally, I went and bought some new shocks for the bike. These shocks will lower the seat height by about 2" (remember when I wrote about the elevator shoes last week?) Well, these simply replace the stock shocks (there has got to be a joke in there somewhere) - but the new shocks arrived this week and with a little bit of luck (and some good weather), I should be installing them next week!  Whoo-hoo!
We have found out there are some vacuum-type packing bags at Bed, Bath and Beyond. They are like 6 for $20 (in 3 different sizes) so we are in process of buying those and we will actually start some early packing (our "heavy" riding gear - but that will be for emergencies only). This will help save space... the bags work where you put the gear in and then roll it up - pushing all the air out.....


Finally, and I know this is not a long post - but our intercom system (it is a wireless system and mounts directly to the helmet - and it is a VERY good system so Jeanette and I can communicate while we're traveling along)... we spent a few extra minutes and got the "bluetooth" function on the intercom system set up - so now, we can actually talk on the phone through the helmets.  And again, like I have stated previously, safety is job #1.... but Jeanette can talk as we ride along and I can listen in (if we get calls or if she chooses to call someone)... so it is a very cool feature. Of course, we can also listen to music or other stuff on her phone.
When I finally decide on a GPS system (meaning a galaxy tablet computer or something like that) - I will connect that up to the helmet intercom as well.  That way, when "directions" are voiced over the GPS, we can hear them through the helmet.....how cool is that?


Next week, I will hopefully be telling you about the shocks (if they work and how easy the replacement was)....as well as any other updates on the trip.....

No comments:

Post a Comment